AIDS Care Ocean State wants you to protect yourself from HIV/AIDS.
Here’s how you can:
- Abstinence: refraining from sexual intercourse is one of the best ways to protect yourself.
- Practice safe sex: if you are sexually active, you should take proper precaution. Use a condom or dental dam every time. We offer free safe sex kits at our Prevention Center.
- Avoid stereotypes: anyone can be infected with HIV/AIDS.
- Educate: Learn about HIV/AIDS, its causes and consequences to better protect you and others.
- Get Tested: Everyone should get tested at least once. We offer free HIV and hepatitis C testing at our Prevention Center.
- Communicate: Talk to your sexual partners about your risk factors and ask them about theirs.
- Remember: 1 in 4 people does not know they are infected with HIV. Many people may not realize they are at risk.
- Avoid: sharing needs if you are an injecting drug user. Use clean needles every time. Learn more about our ENCORE Needle Exchange program if you need clean needles.